Study Abroad and Gender Identity

A recently passed law in the US allows for your passport to reflect your gender identity. It requires a letter from your physician stating that you have had appropriate clinical treatment. "Clinical treatment," in this case, means whatever may be appropriate for the individual. It no longer specifies surgery, but instead simply a clinical judgement call on the part of the physician. More info can be found here:

Amsterdam, the Netherlands

The UO participates in the School for International Training (SIT) Program on "Sexuality, Gender and Identity," held in Amsterdam in the fall and spring semesters.  Amsterdam is a socially liberal city, and the capital of the Netherlands, in which same-sex marriages have been legally recognized for several years.  The program focuses on sexuality and gender (especially LGBT experiences) in the Netherlands, in relation to other aspects of identity (race, ethnicity, class, religion, etc.), and in comparison with other European and North American societies.

The program provides students with an LGBT-friendly home-stay in Amsterdam, and the entire group travels for about 10 days each to Madrid and Berlin, for comparative studies tours.  Students are trained in field methodologies (interviewing, participant observation, archival research, research ethics, etc.) and complete an independent project on any topic addressing sexuality and/or gender in the Netherlands.  Students earn 24 UO credits in the program.

The program is registered as residence UO credits and qualifies for UO financial aid.  Students should have sophomore standing (45 credits) before departure, at least a 2.50 overall GPA, and at least three college-level courses in: women's and gender studies, ethnic studies, and/or related courses in other departments.  For more information, please see: