The mission of the OUTreach Team through the LGBTESSP is to engage and empower lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning students at the University of Oregon. This program will connect many different LGBTQ resources and Ally programs on campus as well as connect our programs to the greater community. OUTreach aims to introduce and invite incoming students to campus programs related to the retention, well-being, and academic success of LGBTQQI students.Team Benefits
Our team provides:
- Opportunities to get involved in idea generation & all stages of planning
- Leadership & resume building opportunities
- Opportunities to get to know other dedicated students within the LGBTQQIA community
- Outlet to work and connect with Youth
- OUTreach members facilitate the GSA Connects program. This includes events where team members attend Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) meetings in local high schools to facilitate activities. Team members will also plan and host GSAs at a spring event at the UO.
- OUTreach members work with the LGBTESSP on special projects and initiatives. Some of these may include programs on gender identity and expression, connecting with UO LGBT Alumni, and Residence Hall events.
- Positively represent the University of Oregon and LGBTESSP
- Tabling events to ensure students are aware of campus resources (a large portion of tabling happens at Week of Welcome (September 18-23, 2012). OUTreach members must be available for these days. With questions or concerns about this policy, please contact the OUTreach Coordinator at email@example.com)
- Commit to a minimum of 10 hours/month during the 2012-2013 school year
- Attend all regular team meetings
- Serve as a liaison between the OUTreach Team and an assigned High School GSA by leading a Team visit at their meeting and maintaining a relationship throughout the year
Please complete the following form and attach as a single document your answers to the supplemental questions, along with your resume.
Please note that completed applications to the 2012-2013 Team does not disqualify candidates from applying for the OUTreach coordinator position. Please direct any questions to Maure Smith-Benanti
or to the current OUTreach coordinator
.The deadline to submit applications is midnight, PST, on May 11th, 2012. Applicants must be current students at the University of Oregon.
- Please list your non-academic time commitments for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Discuss your interest/experience in working with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender, Queer, Questioning and/or Intersex individuals. List any relevant conferences, trainings, or jobs not listed on your resume.
- Please discuss your experience with planning events or programs.
- You are tabling for a Week of Welcome event. A parent approaches you and asks why you feel the need to recruit normal students into your lifestyle. How would you respond to this parent?